Thursday 22 November 2012

Count to Ten!

It's not what you think. No, I've not finally lost the plot and am taking time out to 'count to ten' before I say something very naughty.
Although, I have spent the evening with a house full of Americans!

For the first time in my 50 years of life, I celebrated Thanksgiving. In the middle of Africa, with Burundians,  a Ugandan, a Kenyan and lots of Americans. And I can honestly say it was really very enjoyable. No really, I can.
Not sure about the stuff Americans call gravy, and having fruit salad with my main course. But I did get my first taste of chicken in three months. Do you know what?...............it tasted just like.....chicken! (Chicken = Turkey)
I'm counting to ten because, that is my homework assignment from Wednesday's Kirundi lesson. Learn the numbers 1 to 10. Homework is due in on Friday! It's taken me all day to even manage to remember number 1. Then I remember 1,2,3 but forget the rest. So focus on 7,8,9,10 and can't remember 5 and 6. My brain feels so old. I can't believe how quickly information falls out of it. I've barely finished putting the words in, when I discover they've slipped off the shelf and disappeared into a void.
At one point this evening I sat , holding all my fingers up in front of me, having named them all their Kirundi number name, desperately getting them to try a jog my memory, whilst a friendly American 'tested' my new found knowledge. Or should I say rapidly disappearing knowledge.
I can now count to 10, but have a big struggle remembering number 7 (indwi) .
Trouble is I've got to go to sleep. Goodness knows where the numbers will have gone inside my head by tomorrow morning. That's if they manage to stay in there and not get dribbled out onto my pillow during the night!
Now because it's Thanksgiving what I should be saying is, 'Thank you God for the incredible privilege of living in a new country, encountering new cultures, making new friends and learning a new language (and please stick the Kirundi numbers on the shelf in my brain).'

No comments:

Post a Comment